Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Phoebe's Nest

Phoebe's room is ready for its debut! Allow me to take you for a tour....

A view from the door... The crib is a hand-me-down from Sherry whose 12 yr old son Jake and 3 (today!) year old Rachel used. Thank you!!!

The chest of drawers circa 1966 :). The original pulls were removed, new wooden ones were bought and painted.







Kermit is resting comfortably on bedding from Cotton Tale, Lemon Drop pattern
The closet curtains are a diane original, note the happy frog curtain hooks, influenced by my interest in frogs.  



















Despite the recent influx of frog decor and commercial accoutrements, I have been a frog friend since 1976-ish.

Proof of this is the small ceramic frog with the yellow dried flowers that sits on a shelf. These hand-made frogs were the favors at my Bat Mitzvah. 

At last count, my 8 yr old friend Benjamin has found over 30 frog "things" in my house ranging from a pull chain of a ceiling fan to the two live dwarf frogs in the kitchen. Won't he be suprised to find many more in Phoebe's room! 


In the view from the left, we see a piece of white picket fence and colored bird houses. The picket fence and the houses were Mill Store (Stoughton) purchases.

Four years ago the fence was used as a backboard for a twin bed.

Repurposing this piece served me well after I saw a Pottery Barn display with painted birdhouse mirrors hung from a wall. With the painting expertise of diane the houses found a home on the fence.

The window/mirror is a contribution from dear old dad who refurbished and refinished the old window and added panes of mirror. Have to admit this isn't an original. I think Dad turned out a lot of these a few years ago. Perhaps you have one, too!

Sweet 3.5 inch yellow and white lanterns need just a gentle breeze to make this handmade mobile the coup de grace of diane and howard's contribution. 








7 comments:

  1. Oh, I just LOVE the nursery. I remember when you showed me the bird nests! NOW it's a reality. Super excited for you! Hugs. Stephe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute, cute, cute! Love the fence and mirror/window! My daughter also has closet curtians!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melva and Miles said...
    The room is attractive and thoughtfully arranged. Did you consider that she might have never slept in a room alone? Our darling daughter screamed and cried when we left the room. She still likes company.
    We are delighted that this is finally coming true for you. Mazel tov! Someday we can exchange travel stories, and delays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the nursery is beautiful:) All that is missing is Phoebe to enjoy her lil' nest!!! lots of love & luck sent your way for a happy & safe journey to Phoebe!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andrea,

    The room looks great! I especially like the paper lantern mobile.

    We leave in 5 days!!

    Sue Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every thing looks perfect! Can't believe you are almost there! Not long now! Can you sleep at night???

    ReplyDelete
  7. The nursery is gorgeous! I remember that you showed us the piece of picket fence when we were at your house for the Autumn Moon Festival. I love all of the frog accents, and the lanterns look amazing, so bright and cheery! Phoebe will love her room!
    Bethany

    ReplyDelete