Wednesday, September 15, 2010

You Won't Believe This...

Phoebe is potty trained! Keep reading...


There is a family in our group that came this time for their third adoptive daughter. So to say the least they are well versed in the care of these children and the environments from which they come. Yesterday morning the father told us how some babies have been taught to go to the bathroom in the toilet by the parents using specific sounds to get them to urinate or move their bowels. He demonstrated the sounds for us, so I thought I would try it.

You hold the baby in a seated position facing the back of the toilet. To see if they need to urinate you make a whistling sound and for a bowel movement you say "mmm-bauw." The "mmm" gets a deep tone and the "bauw" gets a raised tone. The whistle is hard to get the right pitch so this dad said just try the "mmm-bauw" and she might do both.

The first time I tried, she peed in the toilet. The second time, later that day, she peed in the toilet. This afternoon about 30 minutes after lunch I tried again and this time she pooped!!!

I tell you, it happened. No joke.

That has to be the most amazing thing I have ever seen!

Of course timing is everything. Now I wonder if I should keep doing it? Introduce the word and sign for "toilet"??? Oy vei! What will she do next???

This will be the last post during our trip. We are taking a three hour bus ride to Hong Kong at 4:30 this afternoon. Then sleeping overnight and getting on a plane to Newark first thing in the morning.

It's been a long two weeks. Even though I slept very well (thank you Phoebe!) it is tiresome to be in a hotel room, and without "normal" food to eat. I have not had a salad, or any raw vegetables in two weeks. I've had one glass of milk and no other dairy for two weeks (oh, right the cheese on some pizza). Of course in the end I'm bringing home the best carry on ... my baby Phoebe.

Home again, home again we are on our way
By bus to Hong Kong and one more overnight stay.
Sixteen hours over the north pole we'll fly
And land in Newark with no doubt a huge sigh.
There will be another line to get through immigration
And when we pass, Phoebe Liat-Yin Zavod will be a US citizen!

Thanks for following our journey, our story
To how "me" became "we."
I've built a family, it has been a dream come true
I'm happy to have been able to share it with you.

With warmest regards from China,
Andrea, Dave and Phoebe
This is one of my favorites!!! How can you NOT love this smile?





See Grandmom, these are the socks you got me!

9 comments:

  1. Oh, I believe it!!!! In hind-sight, I believe my daughter learned to poop in her diaper - because I didn't know enough to sit her on the potty. She became very constipated for the first couple of months we were home (could be that she was always a baby that had a constipation problem), but I think she was constipated because she had to learn to poop in her diaper!!!

    Definitely teacher her the sign for potty (my daughter learned 5 signs in the couple of weeks we were home! She was only 10 months old) and then you will probably NOT need to change a poopy diaper!!!! EVER!!!

    There was a second time and a third time Mom in our group and both of them had their child pooping in the potty after they were home. But both would agree that at a young age like Phoebe it's just not the baby who is toilet trained, the Mama is too... meaning you really have to be clued into their signs/language and use the potty everytime in order to not revert back to diapers.

    Best wishes for safe travel HOME!!!!

    -Mary, a Tonggu Mama in Saint Louis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I am really impressed! Way to go Phoebe!! She is certainly helping her Mom out in many ways.

    I am so happy for you guys.

    L'shana Tova!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It took one MomMom to teach a second MomMom how to write a comment! We have thoroughly enjoyed your journey into Motherhood. Our hearts are warmed as we look at the pictures of Phoebe in your arms. She is an amazing little girl. All our love. Have a safe trip home.
    Love to you both,
    Mr and Mrs Shine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow-wee and yoohoo! Phoebe is an amazing little girl and hence why she got you as a Mom. If you can keep up with the pooping in the potty and she continues to sleep as she has these last two weeks with you as they say "life is good" :) A little tiny part of me does think changing diapers is a rite of passage but the other side of me says think of all the money you'll save!

    I hope you have smooth and safe travels...I was honored to share in this journey through your words and pictures.

    Fondly,
    kik

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phoebe - you are one super cute and talented little lady. I think you are going to be VERY happy with your new life in the U.S.A. God bless you always.

    Andrea - If you are staying at the Hong Kong Airport Hotel YOU CAN EAT THE SALAD. Mike and I couldn't wait to get back there from Guangzhou; it was a simple salad but man did it hit the spot after 17 days of white rice. Enjoy.

    Dave - I hope Sherry has all of your favorite foods waiting on the dining room table, LOL.

    Denice, Mike and Lauren GuiQiu

    ReplyDelete
  6. All of us are SO happy and SO excited and SO ready to meet you, Phoebe. Your journey through life, together with Mom, has certainly had an auspicious start. May all your days be filled with good health, joy and happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Insane. Well, let's say how you handle THAT at home! :)

    Email when you get back and are settled! I want to meet the little charmer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great Rosh Hashannah gift - for the both of you!!
    I can't wait to see you, Andrea, and to meet Phoebe after you get home.
    In the meantime, nesi'ya tova - travel well.
    And, shana tova - may this be a sweet, joyous, wonderful year.
    Rabbi Brown

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bet you are both home and I hope that you both take some time to adjust to the time change and schedule changes. So glad to hear about all of the wonderful skills. There is a lot of information and probably support systems in your area for the potty skill. It is becoming a new trend in America as well, and I thought someone just made it up.

    Tanya

    ReplyDelete