Tuesday, August 17, 2010

A Glimpse of the Experience in China

A National Geographic documentary on China's one-child policy and international adoption was filmed in 2000. Hosted by Lisa Ling, this 43-minute piece, China's Lost Girls is well worth watching.

Ling follows a group of families to China for an adoption trip, similar to what I will experience. In addition, she explores the history of the policy, and the difficult, emotional issues facing China and its people.

The link above takes you to the Hulu clip. It's free.

P.S. Today I tried to figure out the flights. My choices range from 23 to 26 hour travel time. Is there a difference at that point ? :)

5 comments:

  1. WHAT???? Aren't you taking a direct flight from Newark to China???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary in Saint LouisAugust 18, 2010 at 4:51 PM

    Andrea - Before we traveled (back in 2005) we had family and friends over and fed them a BBQ dinner and then 'made' them watch China's Lost Girls! I am so glad we did that... we had some family who asked TOO many stupid questions (I know, I know - no question is stupid... yeah, right) and others who I knew SHOULD be asking questions but weren't... The Movie, although it caused some tears for some... it really a GREAT thing... it started a positive dialog that was MUCH needed.

    Very Excited for You!
    Mary - another Tonggu Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I highly recommend the non-stop flight from Newark to Beijing. It is sooooo much easier than having layovers, not so grueling! It is about 13-15 hours...a huge difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Difference between 23 and 26 hours - no, no difference at that point. I would look at having a little bit longer layer-overs so you are not running through airports with Phoebe. If you have a layover in the US you will need to go to customs at whatever city you land in the US - you'll need to pick up your luggage, go through customs and check you luggage again so plan for enough time for that - my friend didn't realize that and ended up running through the Houston airport with her daughter she had just adopted from Guatemala
    Sue Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed that video--really interesting. And, I say go with the nonstop flight! Every hour is grueling once your trip is that long!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete