Monday, September 13, 2010

One More Milestone


The last piece of paperwork, Phoebe's Visa, will be handed to us Wednesday afternoon! Then we can begin the journey home. A three-hour bus ride will take us back to Hong Kong Wednesday evening, we sleep overnight and have a 10:30 am flight direct to Newark! A little over 15 hours in a plane with a 8 month old. Piece of cake!

I do think that it will go relatively well. Phoebe is very easy going and sleeps well in any situation, crib, my arms, stroller, through noise, heat and chilly AC!

Phoebe continues to be a very easy baby. This was one of my concerns before we came that she would be all out of sorts and inconsolable. She eats well, sleeps 9-11 hours overnight. For me to be able to sleep overnight has to be the saving grace for a trip like this. I have not felt tired and I'm eating pretty well. The only thing is the heat. It is sooooo hot and humid. I can't get enough water in me!

We did some touring yesterday and today. We visited the Six Banyan Temple. A monk performed a blessing ceremony for any of the families that wanted their children to be blessed. I took part in this and it was moving for me. I will be raising Phoebe in a Jewish home, but I wanted to respect the religion of her home city (which happened to be Buddhism).

We also went to the Pearl market. I bought Phoebe a baby bracelet and two more in larger sizes for when she grows up. We also went to another arts store and I bought a frog! You didn't think I wasn't going to try to get one did you? What I didn't know was that the frog has a particular superstition in China. Frogs are crafted with their mouths open so a coin can fit inside. This meant to bring good financial fortune to your home. The one I got is made of jade.

Phoebe is awake from her nap... this afternoon is the famous red couch picture. Watch for a photo of that!

Watch the Adventure Unfold

2 comments:

  1. Love these pictures! She looks SO happy! And "Woohoo!" to the Buddhist blessing.

    We, too, have a frog; he sits on the buffet in the dining room.

    -Mary, a Tonggu Mama in Saint Louis, MO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea...it has been an honor to travel with you through your blog page giving everyone insight in to your union with Phoebe...the adoption process was long but all good things take time...Phoebe is a very lucky little girl and by the pictures it looks like her mommy is very happy with her decision...your daughter is absolutely beautiful...best of luck to both of you as you continue your journey through life as mother and daughter...

    On a personal note, thank you for allowing me to share your experience with my friend Cindy and her husband...they are also awaiting word to receive a daughter from China...you and Phoebe have given them hope...

    Deneen

    ReplyDelete