Saturday, August 14, 2010

We Have A Date !!!

... sort of.


This is tooo much!!! :) So I've been waiting for the next milestone, TA. Remember this means Travel Approval. This is when all the paperwork to accept the child is delivered, all the clearances have cleared, the Visas are issued and China sends word that the parent(s) are approved to come to China. TA.

At the point of approval the adoption agency (in US) contacts the US Consulate in China, and makes an appointment for the group of families and children (more on the group later). When this appointment is secured, another milestone has been met. Then the agency's travel department starts to make hotel reservations, meeting times, in country touring plans, etc... all orchestrated to get you to your consulate appointment on the right day and time.


And if you are thinking how hard can that be... before you get to the consulate, there's jet lag, forgetting not to drink the water, more paperwork, appointments, approvals, oh and being united with your child! This takes about a week... And once the agency has these arrangements in place, the next milestone is getting your travel dates with 5 to 7 days notice!

Before you start to think that I am leaving this week, stop. These milestones did not quite happen like that. (Expect the unexpected.) Instead, I got an email message this past Thursday informing me that
TA and the Consulate appointments should be coming in the next few days. Will you be able to travel on September 1 or 2 with the understanding that your return date cannot be determined at this time but plan on a 14 to 17 day stay. Please reply to this email confirming that you are able to travel during this time. 
There's the answer to "When" ... For everyone, including me, who has asked and wondered, doubted and hoped ... September 1 or 2, 2010. (still, the unknowing continues!)

Four years, four months, three or four days.

At this moment the infamous Andrea tears just might be about the wall coming down. The wall that protected me from enduring the always increasing wait, the disappointment, the frustration. The same wall that allowed me to keep moving forward, beginning to teach; meeting new and dear friends; taking hikes in Mount Desert Island, Maine.

It has been a long time.

Let's change the countdown, shall we? Is there a such thing as a "countup"? Well, I'm the editor, and I'm declaring editorial license... there is a such thing as a countup. The next milestone is a countup to being united with my forever Phoebe.

6 comments:

  1. I am just overjoyed with all the important people in my life receiving good news of babies between you and my sister. What an amazing journey of motherhood you are about to embark. As I've told you time and time again, I'm thirlled to be part of this journey with you. I love this picture of Phoebe too! It tells me that she has been cared for and hopefully better prepared to meet her new mommy!

    Love you friend,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy that you finally have a date! How exciting that the day has finally come that you get to hold your daughter in arms and love her forever. It is such an incredible experience being a mom, I wish you all the best. Your heart is about to expand in ways you never knew. Mother love is awesome! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sept 1 or 2 - this is great! We can see each other in Guangzhou!

    Sue Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. The word exciting doesn’t come close to describe how I feel. This is a life changing event, the tears of joy only speak to the deep love I feel for you, the happiness you bring to our family.



    Phoebe will soon know what wonderful Mommy she is getting: a kind, thoughtful, patient, caring, resilient person with maturity that belies her years.



    My heart will be with you in China and I will see China through your eyes. I look forward to the last leg on this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so excited for you! Your life is about to change in so many ways!!! I love this picture of Phoebe -- she looks so healthy and happy!

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is awesome!!!! You'll have an AMAZING trip! Can't wait to see those first photos of you and Phoebe!!!!

    ReplyDelete